[analyse_image type=”featured” src=”https://images.euronews.com/articles/stories/09/75/88/41/1200x675_cmsv2_c925379e-7d9c-57ed-9d82-2c412a2714bc-9758841.jpg”]

When Michelangelo met Rodin: Paris Louvre show matches two masters

French judge to investigate 2018 killing of Khashoggi

Lampedusa migrant landing: newborn dies, probe opened

Russia launches nearly 300 drones at Ukraine in overnight attack

When Michelangelo met Rodin: Paris Louvre show matches two masters

French judge to investigate 2018 killing of Khashoggi

Lampedusa migrant landing: newborn dies, probe opened

Russia launches nearly 300 drones at Ukraine in overnight attack
Five Italians die in Maldives cave diving tragedy

Maldives Atoll – archive photo
– Copyright AP Photo
Rescue teams in the Maldives continued recovery operations after the country’s deadliest diving accident killed five Italian divers.
Five Italian divers died in the Maldives after disappearing during a scuba expedition near Vaavu Atoll, as authorities continued a difficult underwater recovery operation on Friday.
Maldivian officials said the group, which included an instructor, was believed to have been exploring a deep underwater cave when the accident happened on Thursday.
One body was recovered from around 60 metres below the surface, while the remaining four divers were believed to still be inside the same cave.
“The cave is so deep that divers even with the best equipment do not try to approach,” presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said.
Italy’s Foreign Ministry said the divers had apparently been attempting to explore caves at a depth of about 50 metres, adding that the exact circumstances of the tragedy remain under investigation.
Authorities launched a large-scale rescue and recovery effort involving coast guard vessels, aircraft and dive teams. A first search operation failed to locate the remaining bodies, and officials said rough sea conditions were complicating further dives.
The group had been diving near Alimathaa in Vaavu Atoll and was reported missing after failing to resurface by midday Thursday. Weather conditions in the area were described as poor, with a yellow alert in effect at the time of the accident.
Italian diplomats and technical experts were assisting the operation, while the Italian Embassy remained in contact with the victims’ families.
The Maldives, a popular destination for diving tourism, has recorded several fatal marine accidents in recent years, though incidents of this scale are rare.
Go to accessibility shortcuts
Read more
Staycations on the rise for French travellers this summer amid geopolitical crisis and inflation
Netherlands Keukenhof draws global visitors for spring display
Lebanon reeling as Israeli strikes continue after 300 killed yesterday

Putin to visit China following Trump’s Beijing trip

Russia launches nearly 300 drones at Ukraine in overnight attack

IS leader killed in US-Nigeria military operation, Trump says

Israel confirms Hamas armed wing chief killed in Gaza strike

French judge to investigate 2018 killing of Khashoggi
‘Point of no return’: 36 countries join tribunal to prosecute Putin
Pompeii: A doctor identified thanks to his instruments
Norway confirms move to cancel missile system sale to Malaysia
Where in Europe do workers earn the most — and the least?
Underwhelming summit outcome in China brings Trump back to reality
[analyse_source url=”https://www.euronews.com/2026/05/15/five-italians-die-in-maldives-cave-diving-tragedy”]
