[analyse_image type=”featured” src=”https://images.euronews.com/articles/stories/09/76/05/03/1200x675_cmsv2_76f1cd28-6ed1-5a96-be6e-508ba375e693-9760503.jpg”]

Israeli army claims it targeted Hamas military chief in strike on Gaza

Hungarian roads may be contaminated with asbestos

Pompeii: A doctor identified thanks to his instruments

Norway confirms move to cancel missile system sale to Malaysia

Israeli army claims it targeted Hamas military chief in strike on Gaza

Hungarian roads may be contaminated with asbestos

Pompeii: A doctor identified thanks to his instruments

Norway confirms move to cancel missile system sale to Malaysia
Israel and Lebanon extend their ceasefire by 45 days following talks in the US

A destroyed building that was hit few weeks ago by an Israeli airstrike is seen through a damaged house in the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Thursday, April 30, 2026.
– Copyright AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
The US State Department will hold negotiations aimed at reaching a permanent political agreement on the 2 and 3 June. Beforehand, the Pentagon is to bring together military delegations from the countries concerned on 29 May.
Lebanon and Israel on Friday agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days, even as a fresh escalation of violence erupted, the US State Department said following mediated talks.
“The April 16 cessation of hostilities will be extended by 45 days to enable further progress,” State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott said.
He added that the State Department will hold negotiations on 2 and 3 June aimed at reaching a lasting political agreement, while the Pentagon will convene military delegations from both countries on 29 May.
“We hope these discussions will advance lasting peace between the two countries, full recognition of each other’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and establishing genuine security along their shared border,” Pigott said.
The ceasefire, which had already been extended once, was due to expire on Sunday.
The United States, Israel and Lebanon still consider the truce to be in effect despite ongoing violence, with Israel carrying out further strikes in Lebanon during the talks.
Israel says it will continue targeting Hezbollah, the Shia group whose attacks into Israel in solidarity with Iran triggered the cross-border conflict and which is not taking part in the talks in Washington.
Go to accessibility shortcuts
Read more
Israel and Lebanon meet for third round of direct talks in Washington
At least 39 killed in fresh Israeli strikes on Lebanon
Israel army investigating after soldier seen desecrating Virgin Mary statue in Lebanon

Israeli army claims it targeted Hamas military chief in strike on Gaza

‘Point of no return’: 36 countries join tribunal to prosecute Putin

Underwhelming summit outcome in China brings Trump back to reality

Spanish row fuels north–south tensions ahead of tough EU budget talks

Hungarian roads may be contaminated with asbestos
Underwhelming summit outcome in China brings Trump back to reality
Where in Europe do workers earn the most — and the least?
‘Point of no return’: 36 countries join tribunal to prosecute Putin
Russia’s prison population falls by 180,000 since start of Ukraine war
Trump and Xi wrap up summit claiming progress in stabilising ties
[analyse_source url=”https://www.euronews.com/2026/05/15/lebanonisrael-ceasefire-extended-by-45-days-says-us”]