{"id":1830000,"date":"2026-03-16T20:22:09","date_gmt":"2026-03-16T17:22:09","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/?p=1830000"},"modified":"2026-03-16T20:22:09","modified_gmt":"2026-03-16T17:22:09","slug":"kennedy-center-board-votes-in-favor-of-two-year-closure","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/?p=1830000","title":{"rendered":"Kennedy Center Board Votes in Favor of Two-Year Closure"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>[analyse_image type=&#8221;featured&#8221; src=&#8221;https:\/\/www.artnews.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/GettyImages-2256579812.jpg?w=1024&#8243;]<\/p>\n<div class=\"a-content a-content--offset lrv-a-floated-parent lrv-u-font-family-body lrv-u-line-height-normal lrv-u-font-size-18 lrv-u-position-relative\">\n<div class=\"pmc-paywall\">\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tThe board of directors the Kennedy Center voted on Monday in favor of President Donald Trump\u2019s proposal to shut the institution down for two years, according to the Associated Press.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tThe closure will begin after celebrations there on July 4, marking the 250th anniversary of the United States. When Trump announced plans to close the Center in February, he said he wanted to transform \u201ca tired, broken, and dilapidated Center,\u201d into \u201cthe finest Performing Arts Facility of its kind,\u201d which would necessitate its complete closure.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tAccording to the AP, in a press conference ahead of the vote on Monday, Trump told reporters, \u201cWe\u2019re going to ensure it remains the finest performing arts facility of its kind anywhere in the world.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tThe <em>New York Times<\/em> reported that he also said, \u201cWhat I know best in the world is construction. The best way to do it is close it, do it properly and reopen it, have a grand reopening. And when it\u2019s finished it\u2019s going to be far better than it was when it was originally built.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tDuring its meeting, which was held at the White House, the Kennedy Center board also approved the appointment of Matt Floca as CEO and executive director. Floca replaces Richard Grenell, a Trump ally who resigned last Friday.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tTrump confirmed Grenell\u2019s departure and said that Floca would be his replacement, following a board vote, on Truth Social last week. \u201cRic Grenell has done an excellent job in helping to coordinate various elements of the Center during the transition period, and I want to thank him for the outstanding work he has done,\u201d Trump said in the post.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tThe Kennedy Center has been a focus of Trump\u2019s remaking of the nation\u2019s capital during his second presidential administration, which has also included controversial renovations of the White House and its grounds and cracking down on the exhibitions and displays at the Smithsonian Institution and at US national monuments and other sites administered by the National Park Service.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tOver the course of just over a year, Trump has ousted much of the Kennedy Center\u2019s previous leadership, appointed a new board that elected him as chairman, and attempted to add his name to the organization\u2019s official title, the John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts. (The organization was renamed as a \u201cliving memorial\u201d to the assassinated president in 1964.) Though Trump\u2019s name has been added to the center\u2019s facade, the official name change is still legally dubious.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tSeveral high-profile performers have canceled scheduled performances at the Kennedy Center in the wake of Trump\u2019s takeover, including composer Philip Glass and the Martha Graham Dance Company earlier this year. The Washington National Opera also said it would look for a new home.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tRepresentative Joyce Beatty, a Democrat of Ohio who is also an ex-officio member of the Kennedy Center\u2019s board, has filed suit against both Trump\u2019s name change for the center and his proposed closure.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tFiled in the US District Court for the District of Columbia, the latter lawsuit says, \u201cPresident Trump\u2019s own words indicate that he is planning to demolish the existing Kennedy Center building. To state the obvious, Congress has not authorized either closing the center or conducting a \u2018complete rebuilding.\u2019\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tBeatty\u2019s lawsuit also sought to ensure that she could both attend Monday\u2019s meeting and vote in it. A federal judge ruled that Beatty could attend, which she did, but did not require the board to allow her to cast a vote, according to the AP report. The <em>Times <\/em>reported that she did not cast a vote and cited a news release that the vote was unanimous.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph larva \/\/ lrv-u-margin-lr-auto  lrv-a-font-body-m   \">\n\tIn a press conference, per the <em>Times<\/em>, Beatty said, \u201cI was very clear in advising them that while I\u2019m not against renovations if they need to be done. I am totally against the process, it being unlawful, them not checking with Congress.\u201d<\/p>\n<\/div>\n<\/div>\n<p>[analyse_source url=&#8221;https:\/\/www.artnews.com\/art-news\/news\/kennedy-center-board-votes-two-year-closure-1234777586\/&#8221;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>[analyse_image type=&#8221;featured&#8221; src=&#8221;https:\/\/www.artnews.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/02\/GettyImages-2256579812.jpg?w=1024&#8243;] The board of directors the Kennedy Center voted on Monday in favor of President Donald Trump\u2019s proposal to shut the institution down for two years, according to the Associated Press. The closure will begin after celebrations there on July 4, marking the 250th anniversary of the United States. When Trump announced plans [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":0,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[61,226],"class_list":["post-1830000","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","hentry","category-politics","tag-artnews-com","tag-crawlmanager"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1830000","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=1830000"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1830000\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=1830000"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=1830000"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/analyse.optim.biz\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=1830000"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}